2021 is coming to a close, so it’s time to set some goals for 2022. Every business is unique, so there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach to setting goals for your business. There are, however, general tips and techniques on how to set goals that you can work with to fit your business.
Before setting goals for 2022, look back on your strategic plan for 2021. Did you meet those goals? If not, continue working toward them in 2022—this is, however, the time to assess what caused the goals to not be met. You may also have met some goals that didn’t help your business in the end. This is the time to look over everything that went well, everything that didn’t, and how you can tweak those goals that still need to be reached.
Now that you’ve reviewed your 2021 goals, you can start setting goals for 2022. These goals should be set for the business, along with you and your employees. Perhaps a goal for you is to finally spend time working on your business rather than working in it, so you set a goal to delegate tasks you usually complete to other employees. This could allow you to reach a financial goal that wasn’t met in the last year, for example.
While you’re setting your business goals, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Be specific with financial goals—give numbers and don’t be vague.
- Your goals need to be attainable. If a goal wasn’t met in the previous year, change the process so that you can get there in 2022.
- Track your goals. It’s hard to see progress when there isn’t any documentation of what steps have been reached and what still needs action.
- Set smaller goals within the big picture. By setting small steps, you get a more detailed plan, and it helps you envision how you’ll reach the overall objective.
- Hold yourself accountable. Employees need to hold themselves accountable for their goals, but they should also hold you to yours. Have a goal setting meeting where you can go over your goals and find ways to keep one another on track.
It’s important to remember that goals and the steps to reach them may need adjusting throughout the year. That’s normal! Make small adjustments, take time to rethink the steps, but no matter what, don’t give up. Even if you don’t hit all your goals in 2022, stay focused and keep moving forward.
We can help you reach your 2022 business goals. Growth Point Partnership’s fractional executives are ready to take your business and profits to the next level.