Building marketing strategies can get complex quickly. So when strategies and content can be repurposed, it helps the marketing team work smarter, not harder. However, can it be applied to all aspects of a marketing plan? Social media has evolved into one of the most effective branding tools while SEO continues to drive visibility on search engines. It led marketers to ask: how can SEO and social media work together?
What is social SEO and why is it important?
While social media does not directly affect your website’s search rankings, backed up by Semrush, it does help build your brand. The term social SEO then refers to the many benefits of the tool acting as a way to increase your organic search visibility. When you become a trusted source by posting relevant content, your audience grows and your posts are shared widely. That helps guide potential customers to your accounts, which can then lead them to visiting your website. More than anything, social media creates useful backlinks from your posts that will be shared across the feeds of others. By being a bridge between your audience and your website, social media does help your SEO efforts in its own unique way. In addition, you should make sure to include links to your social media on your website since social signals do help improve your SEO.
How to optimize your social media profiles
If you want to ensure that your social media profiles are performing at their highest level, there are a few things you can do to optimize them for search. One of the most important things you can do is include relevant keywords in your profile description and your posts. This will help search engines index your content more effectively and make it more likely that your profiles will appear in search results. However, it’s important to note that this will all be more useful for users searching directly in the app. You should always optimize to the algorithm of the network first before search engines. Luckily, they’re pretty similar. When exploring a social network, people use certain keywords to look up posts and accounts.
Tips for creating social media content that performs well
If you want your posts to be found by potential customers, it’s important to make sure your content is optimized for each app.
- First of all, you want to make sure your target audience is on the platform. What accounts do your competitors have and where are they successful? What type of posts do they publish?
- Use strategic keywords and relevant hashtags in your content. When people are searching, they’ll often use words, phrases, or hashtags to find posts or accounts.
- Create shareable content. Is it entertaining or informative so people will want to share it to their own followers? Blog posts are a great way to boost original content out to your audience.
Strategies for using social media to improve your website’s SEO
- Social media is a great way to observe your audience. You can see the demographic of the people who interact with your brand most and observe what content gets the most engagement. Then, you can use that information to hone in on keywords and content that your audience values. Use it to then strengthen your website content.
- The more clicks your content—such as a blog—gets, the quicker it will be indexed by Google. Sharing your newly published blogs across platforms helps increase visibility and lead people to your website.
- Social listening tools can be used to conduct content research on topics and keywords. As you observe other popular trends being shared across the web, think of what could be useful for your brand. Can you take advantage by posting a new blog on the topic? By updating a webpage with more relevant keywords?
How to measure the success of your social SEO efforts
The first step is identifying your goals. What do you want to achieve with your social media campaign? More website visitors? More engaged readers? Once you know what you’re aiming for, you can start to measure your progress. Website traffic is a good general indicator of success, but it’s not the only metric you should be tracking. Engagement metrics, such as likes, comments, and shares, can give you a more detailed picture of how your content is being received. You can also track conversions, such as newsletter signups or product purchases, to see how effective your social media is at driving leads. By regularly monitoring these metrics, you’ll be able to adjust your strategy and ensure that your social SEO efforts are paying off.
As two separate strategies to a successful marketing plan, SEO and social media can go hand in hand when done correctly. Our experts can help with both, so you start to get the leads and visibility that helps grow your business. That’s My Idea Marketing is Your Digital Marketing Department for Hire.